Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Principles of Knitting

Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
by June Hemmons Hiatt

ThePrinciplesOfKnitting

***** 5 stars out of 5

I have had this book for over twenty years. It was my first and only knitting book until very recently. It is the book from which I taught myself to knit. It is the book that I use to determine if other books are worth my hard-earned money. It is, in my opinion, the standard against which all knitting books should be measured.

Mrs. Hiatt is the Shirley Corriher of knitting: a knitting scientist. She explains the hows and whys of knit fabric construction. She comprehensively covers stitch formation and behavior, fabric construction, decorative techniques, project management, and pattern design.

The layout and illustrations are superior and add value to the reference. The index is outstanding.

It has nearly everything you could ever need to know about the methods and techniques of knitting. The author shows several methods of accomplishing every item she covers. Granted, she doesn’t cover everything, but who does?

It is set up in a rather odd order; sort of like the grocery store. However, I haven’t found this to be a problem since I use it like an encyclopedia. Mrs. Hiatt is rather opinionated in which methods and techniques she likes best. I’m okay with that, since she went to all of the trouble to assemble this masterpiece she’s entitled to her opinions. I always have the option to ignore them.

Overall, it is a comprehensive tome, which would be my choice if I could have only one knitting book.

This book is currently out of print, but rumor has it that it will be reprinted by Simon & Schuster in October of 2009. Put it on your list.

No comments: