Thursday, November 1, 2007

Welcome!

Hello, World!

I don't really expect this blog to be read, but I somehow feel funny about not having an introduction or at least an explanation of why I'm here.

I have Asperger Syndrome - look it up. As such, I have an obsession. Unlike some of my ilk, my obsession changes. My current obsession is knitting.

Although my complete lack of social skills precludes my having friends, I do have immediate family that I love dearly. This blog is an attempt to find an outlet for my current obsession so that those loved ones don't have to bear the brunt of my preoccupation and I don't have to curb my enthusiasm.

I have always liked needle arts. My mother taught me to knit (sort of) and crochet when I was about 4 as a way to keep me occupied while she pursued her obsession. Knitting didn't really work out for me. I just wasn't coordinated enough to manage two needles and keep the tension even. I haven't knitted for 40 years though I own the venerable Principles of Knitting (purchased nearly 20 years ago) and all of my mothers knitting paraphernalia.

Crochet, however, became a lifelong pursuit and a sometimes obsession. Last year I crocheted my daughter (henceforth to be referred to as GC, for girl child) a sweater I designed. I refused to sew on the buttons because I just wasn't happy with how the yarn looked crocheted. As the weather started showing signs of cooling, I decided it was time to do something about the sweater. What needed doing, I concluded, was to knit the sweater...that would bring out the beauty of the yarn coloring. Here's where the obsession comes in.

I pulled Principles off the shelf and spent a weekend reading it cover to cover, all 532 pages. I love that book! Next, I went to the mart and picked up two skeins of Caron Simply Soft. I spent a day knitting a scarf for the GC just to get a feel for the process and work on that tension thing. Then came the sweater. It went fast and came out fabulous. I finished it in about 9 days. The GC loved it and I was hooked.

As is the case when any interest is elevated to an obsession, I felt the undeniable need to garner suitable equipment in order to obsess properly. So I ordered the KnitPicks circular needle set, 6" DPN set, and, for the first time in my life: wool yarn. I've never taken my craft seriously enough before to invest in natural fibers.

The box from KnitPicks arrived today. I can't wait to get it open and play with my booty!

Time to go check out my loot.

Cheers!


No comments: