Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Uh-oh

The box came today from Webs with the SWTC Twizé for my Reeds & Grasses project from Vicki Square's book Knit Kimono. My first impression was WOW! It's Beautiful!

I can't begin to describe how beautiful this yarn is! None of the pictures do it justice. The colorway is a silvery fog, palest pink, and white. The yarn has a shimmer-sheen to it that gives it incredible depth. It has a very soft touch...like a cross between silk and cotton.

As I was petting and ogling a skein, somewhere in the back of my mind a light came on. This skein is heavy. Very heavy. I hefted the box. Uh-oh. Where's the packing slip...here it is...okay, weight...6.0 pounds...WHAT!!!

Here's where my knitting novice status becomes glaring. You mavens out there will get a good laugh out of this one. The pattern calls for 12 skeins of SWTC Bamboo (250 yards/100g ball). I decided I wanted to use SWTC Twizé, it's bamboo, too, and I like it better. Twize is 110 meters/100g ball, which is 120.3 yards/100g ball).

That should have set off the alarms, but alas I just did the math and ordered the yarn. Okay, I'll admit it, like most Americans, I'm metrically challenged. I found my favorite metric conversion website. Let's see here...12 x 250 = 3000 yards divided by 120.3 yards is 24.93 skeins...okay I'll make it 26 just to be safe.

The verdict is: 5.49 pounds. That is going to be an incredibly heavy sweater. Oh, dear.

No comments: