Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sober Argyle Vest

I am making a modified version of the Drunken Argyle vest by Holli Yeoh published in the summer ’05 edition of Knitty, a very cool online knitting publication.

I am using the Swish DK I purchased from KnitPicks as the software for this project. I’m using my new Options circular needles in the smallest size, 4, for the hardware. Both the needles and the yarn are larger than the pattern calls for, but after the test swatch I feel like following the pattern for the smallest size will work. I am a medium sized person and I knit tightly.

The only modification I’m making in the pattern itself is on the front: I am trading Holli’s curvaceous diamonds for traditional linear ones. Although her whimsical diamonds are cute and I’ll probably make a vest following the pattern at a later date, I am struck at how classy and elegant the back pattern is and I want something to complement rather than contrast for the front.

I cast on and knit the 2.25” of 1 x 1 rib on #3 straight sticks then switched to the circular needles for the pattern. I would recommend doing the first three rows in solitary confinement. I did mine with Terminator 2 on the flat screen and the GC chattering non-stop. Needless to say I misplaced a few stitches and had to go back with the ever-handy crochet hook and make things right.

The yarn still has that odd feel, but it is a pleasure to work with and knits up nicely.

I’m enjoying the circular needles. The cord is wonderful and the silky finish of the needles is fine. I have had to stop a few times and tighten the connections, a minor annoyance. I am having some trouble with the cable connections. My yarn continues to get hung on the small gap. I’ve followed up with KnitPicks and they are sending me a replacement cable.

As an aside, knitting with circular needles does not exacerbate my carpal tunnel syndrome the way knitting with straight sticks does.

Here’s what I’ve gotten done so far:


DSCF0655

Notice the classy, subtle diamond pattern emerging. The copious amount of cat hair was generously contributed by:

Cat No. 1


and Cat No. 2

Posted by Picasa

No comments: